The MudGuard v2 Microphone Isolation Shield uses a proprietary convex design, which diverts internal shell reflections, and offers unsurpassed performance among all microphone shields. Most flat and concave shields tend to focus energy toward the microphone causing unwanted coloration. The unique, patented, multi-radius, convex shape of the MudGuard v2 is designed to direct any unwanted and off-axis acoustic energy away from the microphone.
The non-perforated, solid back on the MudGuard v2 allows for maximum sound isolation by blocking reflected sound from the recording environment to the microphone. The included hardware allows the MudGuard v2 to easily mount to most microphone stands, and allows the user the flexibility to adjust the microphone proximity. Microphone not included.
- Convex technology redirects internal sound energy away from the microphone
- Solid shell reduces external noise while filtering unwanted overtones
- Minimizes excessive room ambiance and off-axis sound
- Uses Auralex Studiofoam for maximum absorption performance
- Mounts easily to most microphone stands
- MudGuard v2 Dimensions: 16" Wide x 10” Deep x 14” Tall
Auralex Testing Observations
- MudGuard v2’s interior surfaces offers a reduction in the focusing of internal reflections toward the microphone. Depending upon the type and size of the microphone used some degree of tuning can be achieved by adjusting how far into the MudGuard the mic is positioned.
- If the mic capsule is positioned further into the MudGuard (~3.5 inches from the rear), the absorptive effect of the Studiofoam lining will be apparent as a very dry and somewhat dark presentation to the vocals. This is due to a reduction in the upper mids and higher frequencies making the lower mids more apparent.
- If the mic capsule is positioned about 1/3 of the way into the device (~5.5 inches from the rear) a nice balance is achieved between the reduction of room sound and the natural sound of the mic without phasing.
- If the mic capsule is positioned toward the front of the MudGuard a more live sound is realized as the mic is exposed to a greater amount of room reflections, without the device adding its own colorations.